Monday, May 16, 2016

A Better Burger

A few weeks ago I had to go into town to run errands, aka monthly Costco shopping trip. I used to go to Costco once a week when I lived in suburbia, but now living in the middle of nowhere, it's a monthly trip. Most people don't particularly enjoy shopping at Costco, but most people don't have to drive 70 miles just to get there!

It does mean I try to combine errands in town, and usually includes lunch.

With my son.

My very picky son.

Normally, we just get a slice of pizza each at Costco. Although not the healthiest option (yes, they do offer a salad), there's something about the greasy, cheesy goodness of giant pizza that I just can't resist. Lately, however, my son has gone off the pizza and wants to go to other places. Like Jack in the Box. I wasn't about to drive all the way there, though. Too far. So he suggested Del Taco and my heart sang a little.

I grew up in Southern California, and there was a Del Taco across the street from my high school. I LOVE Del Taco. Is it great food? Not really. Is it healthy? Not what I order! Red burrito, classic taco, and chili cheese fries. My mouth waters just thinking about it!

But as I drove to Del Taco, the world crashed down around me- it was gone! There's no more Del Taco. What the heck? I pulled out the cell phone and did a quick search online only to confirm that Del Taco is no longer in the Austin area. That's just crap. The closest one now is in Dallas.

Can anyone say road trip?

Now, where Del Taco used to be is a place called Taco Shack. They may have perfectly good food, but neither my son nor I were in a forgiving mood- they replaced Del Taco and that's just not cool.

So, I suggested a new place. I'd been there once before when we were moving house and had to turn in our cable box to the store which happens to be in the same shopping center of the burger joint, but we'd only gotten shakes there. But I remembered the place smelled amazing and the shakes were really good. About half way there, I realized that the Jack in the Box had probably been closer, but it was too late now.

We got to Mooyah's just in time for lunch. Now, I know what you're thinking: Mooyah's? Who in their right mind would eat at a place called Mooyah's? But stay with me.

It's one of those new styled burger places where you order one patty or two, beef, turkey, or veggie burger, white, whole wheat, or lettuce wrap. Then you can pay extra for cheese, bacon, and/or avocado. Then there's a whole list of toppings that are free and you can load your burger up with as much as you'd like. I'm not a huge fan of this style since the only one I've been to before was Five Guys, and I'm not a fan of their's (I'll discuss that some other time, though).

My son, being the picky eater that he is, ordered a cheese burger with ketchup. Boring! I ordered a cheese burger with sauteed mushrooms and onions, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, and Mooyah sauce. The Mooyah sauce turned out to be similar to watered down thousand island dressing, but it was good. We also got a medium order of fries to share since the description of the fries said medium feeds 1-2 people.

Next time we'll get a small!

Along with two small shakes, the order total came to about $25. I was thinking that was pretty pricey for a burger meal, but food has gotten much more expensive these days!

When the food came, I realized the money was totally worth it! The burgers were huge and there was a mountain of fries on both our plates- actually trays. It's an entire tray of food. There was a LOT of food! Even better? It's good! The bun was soft, fluffy, and tasty. The patty was perfectly cooked. The fries were not soggy with grease, they were flavorful. Also, they weren't gritty with salt, you could add your own.

Even my picky son said we should come back. That's high praise!

So, although the name is a little corny, I do recommend Mooyah's. I also recommend trying new things from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment